Thursday, January 13, 2011

I heart NYC

I arrived home all charged up from my trip to Beaufort and I was counting down the hours to see Billy, who would be arriving from New Zealand the following day. We were excited because we’d be able to spend at least a week together before his next trip, but instead he received notice saying he was needed in New York City within 24 hrs, and would be there for a full week before heading overseas for another week.

My heart sank with disappointment. With a zillion things for him to do before jetting off to Dulles, he asked that I join him in New York City for the week so we could spend some time together. First of all, I thought “my husband is pretty awesome to place me into this equation”, and second of all “hell YES!!! I will go to New York City”. The only stipulation was that we would have to go separately, but I didn’t mind that at all. We got him on the plane and I booked a ticket on the Vamoose Bus to meet him NYC.

The Vamoose Bus leaves from Rosslyn, VA to NYC on an hourly basis, every day of the week and it’s only $60 round trip. This bus is awesome; it has free Wi-Fi and plush seats. Plus, you save money on gas, tolls, and parking, and it drops you off in Manhattan in front of Penn Station. If you want to save money and don’t mind the 4hrs commute, this is the way to go. Needless to say, I left the following day and the bus ride was fantastic.

Billy offered to pick me up at Penn Station, but I declined because I felt I could get myself to the hotel using the subway. This way he wouldn’t have to deal with city traffic. Prior to making this decision, I called the hotel concierge before leaving DC and he encouraged me to take the subway. I wasn’t too familiar with the subway system, but my thoughts were I speak English; I’m in NYC how difficult could it be? Billy thought it was funny and kept saying, “you go miss independent city girl.” So, with luggage in hand, I took the subway and got myself to the Mid-Town hotel where I would be staying for the next 5 days. It felt so nice to see Billy and how exciting it was to be able to spend time together in the Big Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment