Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Double Dose of Christmas



It’s going on 5 months since I’ve been in Arlington and the time sure has flown. In the last few months, I’ve been able to travel quite a bit, in fact, I am traveling now. I’m on my way to San Diego to visit my sister, mom, niece and nephew. Billy will also be joining me. He could have opted to go to an exotic place like Abu Dhabi, Dubai, or Doha but instead he asked for time off to spend time with me and my family.

Prior to this trip we were fortunate enough to spend Christmas in Beaufort, SC with his family. We stayed with his sister Katrina and her husband Jonas, who are always so hospitable and they make us feel at home, and they never have an issue with us bringing our dog Dante “Dewey” along. Billy’s sister asked us what we wanted to do while in Beaufort, and we responded, “relax, rest and hang out with family.” That's exactly what we did. We watched movies, ate a lot, walked downtown on the waterfront and slept, slept, slept; Billy more so than I (poor guy was exhausted from traveling nonstop for almost 2 months).

The icing on the cake was waking up Christmas morning and having our family around. Seeing our nephew, Gavin open up his gifts with such excitement was "priceless". I feel fortunate to share moments like these with the ones I love the most. People are not perfect therefore families tend to have their ups and downs, but at the end of the day, I truly feel blessed to have my family.

Now we’re on our way to San Diego, CA, for an extended Christmas with my side of the family. This trip will also be about family, but we definitely will go site seeing as well as eat lots of Mexican food. When it comes to Mexican food no other state has California beat; sorry Texas.

I spent my teenage years and early 20’s in San Diego. Billy and I met while working at Sea World when we were in high school. After a couple years of dating we got married and lived in the North Park/Normal Heights area for several years. During those years my family and Billy's family all lived in San Diego. Now only my younger sister, Renata and her kids, Tristan and Karina remain.


It's been exactly 2 years since we last saw her and the kids. My beloved mom, Maria is also visiting from Brazil, so we'll be able to spend time with her too. Even though we are all spread around and don’t see each other as much as we'd like, we do keep in touch often. I can’t wait to see my niece and nephew. They are adorable and have grown so much since I last saw them. This visit is long overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment