Sunday, January 8, 2012

Anxious for Riyadh

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia is where we are heading to in September 2012. Lately, I've been a little sponge reading as much as possible about Saudi Arabia's culture, customs and history. This very private country has definitely got me intrigued. I can't wait to experience it first hand.

Many of our friends and family have asked me, if I'm scared of going to Riyadh? How will life be like for me? My answer is, " not at all". After all, I was the one who said, let's bid on Riyadh knowing the odds of getting it was huge. You see, I have a sense for adventure and I want to explore places that most people would care less about going to. Of course I would never deny countries like Paris, Italy or Brazil, but why not try something completely different, especially when it's for only 2 years. While we're capable and able, I say bring it!

There's no denying I will experience culture shock when we arrive, but I plan to embrace the people and culture as much as possible. In the meantime, I have been proactive in doing my own research on the country by reaching out to people who are currently living there; checking out books and videos from the library, as well as reading blogs on expats in Saudi. Most of the material are non-bias, which I prefer, and other's are from a Westerner's point of view, and has it's benefits too.

Below are answers to a few questions some people have asked me.

Where will we be living? In one of the compounds.

Will I need to where an Abaya (black cloak) and Hijab (viel)? Not in the compound, even though I will still need to dress conservatively. Outside the compound I will need to wear the Abaya. I need to carry a head scarf in case I am asked to put it on by the Matawwa, their religious police.

Can I drive? No, but I will be able to use the compounds motorpool which are shuttle buses that take the women to run their errands or go places. We can also hire a personal driver, but at this point it's something I am not entertaining.

What is the weather like? Most of the country has a desert climate, which means extreme dry heat during the day and abrupt temperature drops at night. From late September to mid May the temperatures usually are between 75-80 degrees during the day and 50's at night. From May until September is can reach well over 100 degrees. There's little rain fall and winter is brief.

Will we take Dante? Definitely YES! There is a lot of paperwork and procedures we need to follow to get him in the country, but the good news is that he will not need to be quarantined.

What are the attitudes toward foreigners? Visitors and expatriates can look forward to respectful treatment. Saudi's have a particularly high opinion of Americans.

Yes, yes, I am eager to leave because I've been wanting to live overseas for a while now. I also realize how precious it is to be present and live in the moment, and I'm doing that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment