Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Over the One Year Mark



July 22 marked our one year anniversary here in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. A year into Riyadh and my thoughts and attitude have changed slightly about this post.

It's definitely an interesting yet bazaar place to live. Every day, I continue to learn something new about the Saudi/Arab culture. I don't regret coming here because the experience I am gaining is something unique and will always cherish. I may not agree with all the rules, and at times I get frustrated, but I respect the Saudi culture and the people here. They are genuine with strong values, trying to hold onto it's culture as globalization keeps taking over this region.

In the beginning everything was a novelty, but after a year of going to the malls, the souqs, grocery stores and the good restaurants there's not much to else to do. I now find my life to be very confining here. One reason I find is because women can't drive and I must rely on the embassy's motor pool or on my husband to go everywhere. There is no public transportation I can take, such as buses and metros. There are taxis, but the embassy advises us against it. Wearing the Abaya doesn't bother me too much because it's convenient, but I don't feel it should be mandatory for women to wear. Prayer 5 times a day has become a bit of a nuisance because everything closes during prayer and it makes it very difficult to go out during the day. I miss movie theaters, live concerts, music on the radio, festivals, entertainment, parks, and women and men sitting outside together having a cup of coffee.

On the other hand Saudi is an extremely safe place to live. Crime is very low because of their harsh punishment laws. All the material things I need or want can be found here.The grocery stores are always stocked, and there's even a commissary, but sometimes that's not enough. 

Thankfully, Billy and I have built good friendships here and that has been a true blessing. During the day I keep myself busy going to the gym, taking Arabic classes at the embassy, cooking, baking and hanging out with friends. Billy picked up tennis again after a 4 year hiatus and he is loving it. We have to get creative with our time here, and some how we make each day count. In October our baby arrives and I am sure he will also keep us busy. Soon enough it will be time to move and restart life again in a new location. That in itself can get a little redundant and challenging, but that's another story to tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment