Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Week 3.5

Fort along the wadi trail.
I've been receiving emails from friends and family inquiring how we're adjusting to life in Riyadh. It's been 3.5 weeks since we've arrived and so far so good. In my opinion this place is a hidden gem. Many people shy away from Saudi Arabia because they don't know much about the culture, religion, customs, etc..., but for me that is what drew me to this place. The mystique  and misconception of this place intrigued me. I've always been one to want see things with my own eyes and form my own opinion about a person, place or a thing.

The culture shock I've experienced has been minimal, if any. Then again I'm easy going and have an open mind. Of course there are things I see and hear that I don't always agree with, but I respect ones right to live the way they choose. Who am I to impose my thoughts and morals? What makes me happy may not make you happy, correct?

Despite the differences, for example: Women wearing an Abaya in public and not being allowed to drive; prayer 5 times a day; commerce closing for 30 mins during prayer time, and Ramadan slowing things down (which I find refreshing). I find Saudi very westernized. Most Saudi men and women are well educated and have studied or lived abroad. They are not sheltered from the outside world. There is nothing you can't find here. The grocery stores are wonderful and always stocked. The souks (flee markets) are filled with beautiful decorations, one more intricate than the other. The shopping malls have everything from H&M to Louise Vitton, and the shoes styles are endless. Since women have to wear Abayas here, they love their shoes and purses.

Mostly I have positive things to say; that's my personality. I tend to always look on the bright side. Of course there are negatives. I don't like to see all the stray cats in the DQ. I want to feed them all and take the little tiny kittens home with me, but that would be an endless battle. I also feel bad for the migrant workers who are usually from Bangladesh, Pakistan and India who are treated like second class citizens, yet are the foundation of the economic boom of this country. Recycling really doesn't exist here. Women's rights still lack some basic freedoms, such as the right to drive, or vote. But there are issues like these in many places, some even in the good ol' USA.

Now for the true confession of what I've been enjoying the most thus far...not having my husband traveling all the time and working only a block away from our house. We can have lunch together at the house or at his office. Dante is in a spacious house and loves going on long walks on the wadi. We've been meeting and socializing with some great people, and have even managed to make friends from Brazil. What is there to complain about? I would say, nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment